Thursday, October 19, 2006

Things Im doing while waiting for Portupgrade and Cvsup to finish...

20 minutes before midnight,
I am still running portupgrade on a remote database server,
sitting on FreeBSD 6.1. In parallel with this is cvsup-ping a server dedicated for custom made applications, also on FreeBSD 6.1.

I have no choice but to use ports on these BSD servers. I would like to use pkg_add all throughout the installation process however the tbz of PHP5 (www.php.net) and phpMyAdmin (www.phpmyadmin.org) is calling Apache 1.3 (www.apache.org) and not the version 2.2.

Anyway, as I am waiting, monitoring, watching the upgrade on one Konsole(konsole.kde.org), and cvsup on another Tab of Konsole on my IBM Thinkpad r40e (www.ibm.com) powered by PCBSD v1.2 (www.pcbsd.org), I am also monitoring the traffic on our firewall based on OpenBSD (www.openbsd.org). I am seeing real live traffic coming in and coming out the firewall via pftop (www.eee.metu.edu.tr/~canacar/pftop) command. Just to not bore me with waiting, I opened another tab (besides my 16 current open tabs) of my Opera 9(www.opera.com) to write this blog. My other standby programs are the Kopete(kopete.kde.org), Kmail(kmail.kde.org) and Openoffice v 2 (www.openoffice.org).

At last, the "portupgrade -aRr" has finished! Yahoo! (Can I say Google! instead? heheh!). I will install PHP5 now using ports installation but I will check first the Makefile to make sure Apache 2.2 is going to be used before proceeding to the "make install clean" command. After reading some articles and reading the Makefile, I should "make config" and choose the Apache on the list given. There it goes I have PHP5 with MYSQL 5.0 (www.mysql.com) on FreeBSD 6.1. I wonder if this setup is just the same with phpMyAdmin. Hmmm.... Anyway, before install it, I'll install first the php5-extensions.

After all the above Im thinking if Im going to Jail MySQL(Chroot) and make the data directory from /var/db/mysql to a another directory on a bigger slice of the RAID 5 SCSI disks. Will let you know later on.

0 Comments:

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks